Sunday, November 2, 2008

Mom, what is he running for?


Okay, so the elections have taken their toll on our household. Last week for FHE we talked to the ducklings about the candidates and the issues that we were voting for with this "historic" election. After discussing who Lance and I were voting for and why (of course in simple little duckling terms) we drove to the elections office and turned in our ballots as a family.

Since then, every commercial that comes on I have said, "UGH, I've already voted!" I wish we could enter a number and let the TV know that it can skip those advertisements since we have already voted. But, we endure.
So, yesterday, I'm working in the kitchen and I hear Fan-C say, "Be quiet! We've already voted!" I started to laugh. She was talking to the TV and the five million ads they run in between the five minute cartoon segments.

So, skip to this afternoon. I'm roaming around the LDS.org site and I bring up an article on President Monson. Fan-C wanders into the room and says, "Mom, what is he running for?" I said, "Fan-C this is President Monson the prophet." She says, "Oh, yeah! Do we support him?" I told her we do. She continues, "Who is he voting for, McCain or Obama?" I told her I didn't know, but that he would be voting for the best candidate. She then asked why we don't have to vote for the prophet. Insert quick lesson on how a prophet is called of God. Fan-C then sums it all up, "Why doesn't Heavenly Father just assign our next president?" Oh sweet girl, that would be wonderful and a whole lot less annoying.

9 comments:

Sally F said...

No kidding! No negative ads, no stretching of the truth, no biting sarcasm. Complete trust in the person selected. That would be cool!

Mrs Smith said...

I love reading you blogs.

Randi said...

That is fantastic! I certainly wish that Heavenly father would pick our next president from now on too! :)

Matt and Christy said...

AMEN! I really am grateful that I live in a country (and in a time) where my voice can be heard. But sometimes it gets ridiculous. If I hear one more smear ad, I am going to pull my own hair out. I'm glad that Fan-C is learning all about civic responsibility at such a young age. Great work, Stephanie!

Kirsten said...

That is sooooooo cute, think in a few short hours the ads "should" end, at least I hope, if I see one tomorrow I may throw my shoe at the t.v. or something : )

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea--like the Book of Mormon days when the Chief Judge was also the prophet!

Anonymous said...

That would be ideal. I love the idea, I wish we could do it. Your daughter's brilliant!

Calli said...

Out of the mouths of babes! Sometimes we adults make things so overly-complicated.

SusieQ said...

I love how involved children can get in the elections. My kids thought THEY got to vote this year. I overheard them talking about who they were going to vote for. I hated to break the news to them that you have to be 18.