Friday, April 17, 2009

Easter Eggs and Precious Memories Don't Go Together~~~(well, maybe)

So every year I boil up eggs and prepare dye in their little flimsy plastic cups and then proceed to give the zoo crew a tutorial on where the dye goes and how to lower the eggs slowly... yadda yadda yadda. Then they drop the eggs into flimsy plastic cups from like a foot in the air so they keep their hands out of the dye, per their mother's tutorial, which sends dye flying in all directions and then let's just say... precious memories GONE!
2009 proved to move along this same STAINING path. I got the eggs boiled and cooled. Prepared the die ~ 10 cups worth so that there could be two ducklings on each set of color and we could just speed up the pain. Tutorial takes place, egg plopping commences and then the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth (all from Mommaduck) arrive. Just like clockwork.
The ducklings finish the dying and I put the eggs away to dry. Luckily for me and with the reminder from facebook friends, I have a healthy supply of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. With all the stains now removed and after telling Fan-C for the tenth time that the leftover dye is not something we can 'save for next year', my house is dye-free once again.
Guilt washes over me and I come up with a plan to save the ducklings scraps of 'precious memories' and let them set up a picnic in the living room with a movie. The Tank wasn't convinced that this was on the up and up. He kept questioning me whether he could really eat in the living room, even after I handed him the popcorn and sandwiches. But, the movie worked. Everyone was cheerful once again and I was grateful to have the crew out of the kitchen and inquiring a million times when they could see their eggs again.


"Happy Easter!"
Look at the Tank's face, "Are you sure this is okay?!?"
Movie ends and the egg inquiring resumes. I pull out stickers from my file and let them decorate their eggs. No mess, no stains, no limitations...
if you want 100 paw prints on your egg, Go for it!
Precious Memories ARRIVE!


Fan-C with her cousin (I babysit her daily)

The girl's all concentrating on their egg art.
Best thing I did the whole day, cut the egg carton's in half so that everyone had their OWN six eggs to work with right in front of them. No territory wars!!!!
Ahhhhh, precious memories.







2 comments:

Matt and Christy said...

Easter eggs are always messy! We do them at my in-laws' house. I also heard of people doing them in the bathtub. When they are all done, just bathe them off. I guess that your kids are too old for that, but its a little neater!

rachel said...

Dyeing eggs in the tub? Now there's a new one for ya!

Your kids are darling. Looks like fun was had by all and lots of wonderful memories made.