Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Semi-Annual Run In With a 'Vampire'...



I had to go in this morning and have my semi-annual blood work done to make sure that my meds are doing their jobs. The tech was really nice and I know they have to do their job... but I KNOW which arm will give blood. My right arm has great veins but it won't let the blood flow... so I have always used my left and tell them that the left is the giving one. But without fail, the techs are just SURE that THEY will be the miracle worker who can make my right arm give. I had to put my foot down and tell her that I didn't have time for her to be a hero. Just stick me with the needle, take my blood and get on with it. I wish that doctors, nurses and other techs would trust the patient.

I really do KNOW my body better than you do and since I have given you no reason to doubt my integrity... just trust me.

It probably doesn't help that I have to go fasting to these appointments and I don't do well with this... I tend to get really cranky... more than usual ;o)

5 comments:

Sally F said...

I'm exactly the same way! My right arm takes FOREVER to fill up while the left arm is quick and easy.

I've never had anyone try and be the hero, though. How annoying!!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the techs. I always say use my right arm, and they are pretty good about it, but once in awhile, I get the tech who thinks they can get it with the left. It never works and after being poked several times, they finally draw from the right arm. UGH!!!!!! Sorry to hear you had to get poked! NOT fun!

The Hojnackes said...

When will they get it? Who knows you better than you? They think they know everything.

Desiree said...

Those medical people think they know everything, I hate that too! I'm so glad to hear somebody else say what I am always thinking too, we know our bodies better than they do. Those fasting tests are the worst.

LeaAnne said...

ok..lol

I just want to tell you that I read this the day you wrote it.. I am a guilty *lurker* and *forget to* poster..
Since it is *confession day* over at our other pals Blog I thought I would say so here too ;) I love you girl!

PLUS>> I have the each same prob..

I had a guy a year ago who KNEW he could do it no matter what I said to him.. HE got me 8 times~ We were the only ones in the office (except a girl way out front.) and he just kept doing it..I no longer go to the office! lol Good thing it was only a blood sample ..it was CRAZY scary!

Also just so you know, I never wear nylon and love my Denim skirt! ;)